Monday 8 July 2013

How much spam?

Like most people I decided to make the most of the sun this weekend so spent most of my time outside and didn't think about work. Normally when I have a day or two off I end up with approximately 100-200 and before anyone asks yes I do have a spam filter set up; so you can imagine my surprise when I had 995 emails waiting this morning.

When I looked through them the vast majority were from a survey company, I guess that's what happens when businesses sell your details. If this happens to you there are a few things to do. Firstly click on the unsubscribe link if there is one. Also there are a number of sites out there that claim to be able to remove you from spam lists but the best way to reduce the amount of spam you receive is to follow the steps laid out in https://www.facebook.com/charlotte.keeling.167?hc_location=stream. Hopefully this will help all of us get less spam.

To reduce junk mail through the post try the following:

  • If there is a return address then return to sender with a letter requesting that they don't send you any more mail
  • With flyers from local businesses you have a number of approaches you can simply put up with it, ask the businesses not to send you anything or there are stickers you can put by your letterbox. 

No comments:

Post a Comment