Thursday 10 October 2013

Back behind the wheel

Since having kids I have had to put driving on hold due to problems with my spine, however in the last month I have taken it up again I have to admit it is taking a little bit of getting used to as I have been reliant on public transport for so long.  I will be glad once I have my own car as it will make my life a lot easier.

I know that the government want more people to use public transport or walk but when it is absolutely freezing or pouring with rain then you really don't want to have to walk 3 miles in it as part of the school run. 
There are a few issues with public transport which put people off using it, firstly the cost especially when using trains. Another issue is that public transport is usually not overly reliable, it has a tendency to run late or break down a fair bit.

The downsides of owning a car are the costs involved in maintaining it; tax, insurance, petrol etc. There is other issues which don't apply to everyone such as it making people lazy so they then have issues with their health. 

So it would seem that there are pros and cons to both sides of the argument so I think that a balance needs to be found so using the car only when necessary may be a good compromise.

No comments:

Post a Comment